The workplace is expected to work like a well-run machine, with each part seamlessly performing its role in a complex system in order to achieve the best possible outcome. The reality is a bit different and conflict can easily occur – we’re all human, after all. While this is natural, it’s important that conflict is properly managed and that it doesn’t escalate out of control, prevent people from working to their full potential or create a hostile work environment. This is where personal mastery skills training is essential.
Conflict Management Tips from Personal Mastery Skills Training Specialists
- Don’t avoid the issue: Often, conflict can be easily fixed when it’s just beginning but will blow out of control when ignored, so don’t take the approach that it will sort itself out without any intervention. Instead, take a proactive approach with any minor conflicts – it shows your team that you put their wellbeing and workplace happiness first and it prevents unnecessary, time-consuming disagreements.
- Don’t let emotions overwhelm the issue: Keeping emotions in check is key to dealing with conflict in a calm and constructive way. This means recognising and acknowledging your own emotions and those of the other party, understanding why the issue brings these emotions to the surface, and then taking a deep breath and looking at the issue rationally.
- Communicate… and listen: Being vague, not addressing an issue clearly, and miscommunication are definite source of conflict and conflict escalation in the workplace. Share the facts clearly and with all relevant individuals and, once you’re doing so, make sure that you give people an opportunity to be heard. This goes a long way to alleviating fears and frustrations that may lead to conflict or a breakdown in relationships, as well as giving you a clear picture any issues that may arise.
- Develop a mindful approach: Whether you are directly involved in the conflict or not, the chances are that you are going to feel emotionally connected to the issue and people involved. Take a step back and evaluate your own role and goals in managing this conflict effectively. Be mindful of the language you utilise so that you don’t put people on the defence, be aware of the body language you’re projecting and be open and focussed, and don’t try and force your opinion or views onto others.
- Learn from the specialists: Personal mastery and EQ skills training courses are the ideal environment for developing effective conflict management skills. These courses offer leaders, managers and supervisors the opportunity to learn conflict management techniques in a risk-free environment and develop core relationship and self-management competencies that help prevent conflict in the first place.
Personal Mastery Skills Training is Key to Minimizing Conflict in the Workplace
At Maurice Kerrigan Africa, we’ve worked with top companies in diverse industries to train and develop managers to realise their full leadership potential. As part of our comprehensive offering, our one-on-one personal mastery skills training and EQ skills training courses include an introductory 1-day course, a comprehensive 2-day course, and an advanced 3-day course for those who want to maximise the functionality of business and personal relationships. To find out more about our business training courses offered by our SETA accredited corporate training company in Randburg, simply call +27 11 794 1251 or email email@example.com.