- This event has passed.
Golden Harvest 67 Minute Challenge
18th Jul 2018
Golden Harvest Park background
Golden Harvest Park is a 97 hectare – roughly 97 rugby fields – green lung in Randburg Municipality which is close to the Ticketpro Dome and is surrounded by Sundowner, Northwold, Northriding and Olivedale.
It is adjacent to Northgate Shopping centre and bordered by Olivenhout Avenue, Drysdale Road, Maple Drive and Third Avenue in Northwold.
Golden Harvest Park includes a play park, soccer field and is popular with dog lovers, nature lovers and has a fresh water dam which is used by recreational fishermen.
The park hosts a Parkrun with 1500 participants every Saturday and is open for the public to enjoy every day between 6h00 and 18h00.
Every year on 18 July — the day Nelson Mandela was born — the UN asks individuals around the world to mark Nelson Mandela International Day (18 July) by making a difference in their communities. Everyone has the ability and the responsibility to change the world for the better, and Mandela Day is an occasion for everyone to take action and inspire change.
The Friends of Golden Harvest Park, supported by the Randburg, Fourways and Lanseria Chambers of Commerce and Industry have launched an initiative to utilise the Park as a central meeting point for all Mandela Day activities in the Randburg/Northwold/Northriding/Sundowner and surrounding areas.
We would like to encourage businesses to show their support, via a contribution of time or resources, in one of the following ways:
- Focus on the Park – a full day of activities in the park ranging from sapling rehabilitation to removing invading aliens.
- Community Focus – central collection point for non-perishable food items and clothing for less fortunate members of the surrounding community.
- Appreciation of Carers – a refreshment station to serve tea and cookies to Firemen, Police, Teachers, Care Givers, Security Personnel and Park Gardening Teams.
So, here are projects that individuals or companies can do in the Golden Harvest Park on Mandela Day, which we hope will inspire a lifestyle of compassion and service to communities and the less fortunate.
Choose an item from the below to register your interest, and we will co-ordinate projects in the Park, and facilitate donations to Charities or NGO’s in and around the Park.
- 67 minutes of hands-on help in the Park. Volunteers will be directed by FOGHP members to plant saplings, cut back invading aliens, rehabilitate pathways etc.
- Appreciation for Service Staff – Firemen, Police, Teachers, Security Personnel, Care-givers etc. Mid -morning tea, light lunch, and afternoon tea. Co-ordination and assistance with preparation of sandwiches, muffins and serving tea for 100 persons.
- Tea for Seniors – Afternoon tea for seniors at the Old Age Home which abuts the Park. Rotary have expressed an interest in co-ordinating.
- Donate magazines and books or linen to an under-resourced home for the elderly. To be donated to Old Age Home.
- Stationary packs (pens, stickers, coloured paper, scissors, etc.) for teachers at an under-resourced school in the area.
- Books for schools and libraries in the area – Collect and distribute children’s books to under-resourced schools. – Bring along to the Park and we will deliver to Schools.
- Clothes for less-fortunate to be distributed via charities in surrounding communities.
- Non-perishable food to be distributed via charities for surrounding communities.
- Dedicated Parkrun with 1500 participants on Saturday 14 July in the Park.
Contacts and social media
Friends of Golden Harvest Park – Marietta 0823440084